Down my Alley

Friday, April 11, 2008

How Did I Do in March Madness?

Well, the basic answer to the question is: NOT good. I finished next to last in the pool that I ran, but enjoyed the tourney and most of the games. The real fun will be seeing how my predictions (several posts back) fared...also not good...but let's take a look.

Prediction: All 4 number ones won't make the final four. It's never happened, and it won't happen this year.
Reality: All 4 number ones made the Final Four...for the first time ever.

Prediction: First rd upsets: 11 St. Josephs over 6 OK, 10 Davidson over 7 Gonzaga, 11 Kentucky over 6 Marquette, 10 St. Marys over 7 Miami (FL) [8-9 matchups don't count as upsets]
Reality: Wrong on St. Joes, Kentucky, and St. Mars; Right on Davidson

Prediction: 12 over 5 upset special (it seems to happen every year), Western Kentucky over Drake (partially out of spite, but it isn't a bad choice)
Reality: Western KY beat Drake on a buzzer beater...great game, and I got this one right

Prediction: The Big East is overrated and crazily got 8 teams in the dance. However, the Big East will be out before the Elite 8. (potential exceptions being Louisville and Georgetown, but I have them losing).
Reality: Only Louisville made the Elite 8 out of the Big East. Wrong, but oh-so close.

Prediction: Surprise Sweet 16 appearances: 7 Butler, 6 Purdue
Reality: Butler lost to Tenn is OT in the 2nd rd (should've won though); Purdue lost to Xavier in the 2nd rd (good game)...Wrong on both accounts.

Prediction: Surprise Elite 8 appearances: 7 Butler, 4 Vanderbilt, 3 Wisconsin
Reality: Butler, see above; Vandy lost in the first round...ooops; Wisconsin made the Sweet 16, but fell to Davidson; Wrong on all three accounts.

Prediction: My Final Four: 1 UNC, 3 Wisconsin, 2 Texas, 1 UCLA (NOTE: I never, ever, get the final four right)
Reality: Since only number 1s made the FF, I got 2 right...therefore this one sorta counts.

Prediction: National Championship: UNC defeats Texas by 7
Reality: Kansas over Memphis in OT...clearly I was wrong again.

Prediction: First number 1 to lose: Kansas, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Memphis.
Reality: These were the last two teams standing...My bad.

Prediction: I'm guessing that 80% of these predictions are wrong (including this one).

Reality: Of the preceding 9 predictions, I only go 19% correct...which means 81% wrong. However that means, I go number 10 right, which puts me at 27.5% correct...therefore I got number 10 wrong...if you know what I mean. Fun with math, huh?

It was a good tourney. Solid upsets in the first round, a few buzzer beaters, a Cinderella to root for (Davidson), and a great Championship game. Anyone taking bets whether Memphis focuses on free throws in practice before next season? Until next year...I'm out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home