Down my Alley

Friday, March 28, 2008

Doctors, Medicine, and Prayer...

Before I start, let me give you the link to the story that I'm referring to...Click Here. The gist of the story is a young girl (age 11) died when her parents did not take her to a doctor, but instead chose to pray for the girl. Her death was by diabetic ketoacidosis, a lack of insulin in the body resulting in use of proteins and other compounds as a source of energy instead of sugar. Harmful by-products build up and cause the body to shut down and death to occur. Completely avoidable and treatable. This kind of story really bugs me. I'm a full believer and supporter of prayer. And I truly believe that prayer aides the healing process...but it does NOT replace medical treatment.

My biggest problem with parents and people who believe God is the only healer is this. Why do we have doctors and medicine if not to help heal people? Did God allow the entire practice of medicine to come about as a test of faith (if so, I fail...miserably)? Clearly, since I'm a pharmacist and am seeking a degree that will allow me to investigate and develop new drugs, I think medicine is here to help. Without medicine, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be here today (asthma attacks require medicine to breathe again). I think God blessed me with an analytical, scientific mind and I'm using that in the medical field. There is scene in the HBO movie Something the Lord Made (about heart surgery and race) where Alan Rickman (playing Dr. Blalock) is talking with a priest before doing surgery on an infant with Tetralogy of Fallot (blue baby syndrome). The priest pleads with Rickam not to tamper with God's plan, to which he replies, "Perhaps God is, as you say, trying to kill this child. I am not."

Doctors and modern medicine is not a pagan, heathenistic practice. It is not anti-God, and most certainly works best when used in combination with faith and prayer. I don't want to heap blame upon the parents who try and live a faithful life according to their beliefs, especially since the situation wasn't one they wished for, but shunning doctors and medicine just doesn't make sense. This isn't the first time this has happened, and it won't be the last.

I'm not sure the level of God's participation in daily lives. Does He actively play a role in every little thing people do? Does He gently nudge? Does He make every thing happen? Or did He put in place everything people need and allow life to occur as free will and people dictate? I'm not sure, but I know Doctors exist, medicine exists, and they aren't evil. God may be the healer, but I think he chooses to heal through the many MDs, RNs, and PharmDs practicing in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home