Down my Alley

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Hit and run

Normally with a title like "Hit and Run" you might think this was a sport centered post...or something like that. As it turns out, it really is about a hit and run...in the automobile sense. I happened to be the "Hit" part of the hit-and-run. By me, I mean my car. I happened to be in bed.

Alright, let me start from the beginning. I returned home from bowling around 12:45. Took a shower and got ready for bed. Climbed into bed, turned on the TV (too unwind). I heard movement above me (someone walking around), then my phone rings and its my roommate. "Are you awake?" Well, I answered the phone so of course I'm awake...but I said "Yes." Turns out she heard a noise out front and saw a car "parked" in front of our house. So after I get to go out and see whats going on. I walk out and see damage to my car. I knock on the window of the Jeep Liberty. The guy opens his door (after a minute).

I asked, "What happened?"
"What do you mean" (him)
"You hit my car."
"No, I didn't."

I call 911 to report him. Start giving the story, read off his license plate to the 911 operator and my roommate. He climbs out of his car...stumbles backward a few steps...sees the accident...climbs back into his car and starts it back up. I go back to the door and tell him to stay. He tries to shut the door, but I hold it open and tell him to stay. He then puts it in gear and takes off. I tell the 911 operator what happened (she was still on the phone). A few minutes later, a squad car comes around and I relay the story and report the car, the plate, and the driver.

Call my insurance company today and get the ball rolling on fixing up my car. Hoping that the cops get ahold of the guy so his insurance gets to pay for everything. The results of the night were a banged up car (initial estimate of $1700+) and about 3 1/2 hours of sleep (for those who know me, this might end up as a cold/sick).

Ok, now you know. This day has kinda sucked...but I did get free food at lunch and dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home