Down my Alley

Thursday, August 31, 2006

The next 4 months of my life...

I know it's been a week since my last post...but calm down...there is a method to my madness...or at least a reason (don't be fooled though, I still have plenty of madness). Here's my reason. I had to get through Wednesday to have experienced all my classes and other items that will make up my weekly schedule. So here it is, my schedule and what I think of it so far...

8 - 10 AM, M-F, Core class - this is for all the PhD students in basic sciences. It is going to take quite a bit of work and lots of reading. The lectures themselves have not been to bad thus far, but the material is not all review for me, so I'm going to have to pay attention. I'll get a better feel for the difficulty after the first test (in a couple of weeks).

4 - 5 Pm, T, Frontiers in Pharmacology - small class that is designed to expose students to some of the research in the area of pharmacology. It'll be interesting, but easy. They mentioned nothing about papers, or tests, or any kind of work for that matter, so it's kind of refreshing. Plus, they feed us after each class...yeah food!

4 - 5 Pm, W, Research Ethics - another cake class...and boring too. This is broken into 8 weeks of lectures followed by 8 weeks of discussion group case studies. Grades based on attendance, participation in dicussion groups, and a single two-page paper. I can handle that.

9 pm - 12 am, Bowling - found a league not too far away from campus and about 20-25 min. from my place of residence. It's a scratch league (no handicap) and seems to be fairly competitive. My team is going to be pretty fun and hopefully challenge for the title.

All the other times until the 5-6ish neighborhood is spent in lab. After about 1 week in the lab, I think it's going to be interesting. This current lab rotation is not necessarily doing research the completely excites me (I'm a bit unsure of the applicability of what they are doing), but it is going to be a good lab for me to get my feet wet. I am beginning to get an understanding of what my initial project is going to require and am a little bit excited to start working on it. As for now, I will continue to shadow and work with a research assistant and get some practice.

The evenings are spent contemplating reading, watching TV, or playing video games. Motivation is (always) lacking to read, but that is nothing new and should have been expected. Nothing new, but I'll get it done as usual.

Ok, that's all. I probably should go do some reading or something....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home