Down my Alley

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

More Movie Reviews

Ok, so I have recently rented several movies and will enlighten my reading public with my thoughts on them. In the recent past, I have seen 4 new movies, and here are my thoughts in order from worst movie to best.

The Matador: Really really bad! For being so highly reviewed by professional critics (must be a nice job), it really sucked. The story is so-so, nothing really special. There is slim to no action, which makes it solely a character/dialogue movie. However, the dialogue is not witty and the characters are kinda ho-hum. Pierce Brosnan wasn't terrible, but on a whole it was a 1 1/2 hr movie that felt like 2 1/2. Final rating: 1.5 out of 4 stars, wait for TNT to show it...only if there is nothing else on (including Scrabble championships on ESPN2).

Find Me Guilty: Primarily this movie showed that Vin Disel can actually do a non-action movie. His perfomance was ok, the story is interesting, but it really isn't funny. It was advertised as the funniest courtroom movie since My Cousin Vinny. All in all, I think I liked My Cousin Vinny better (of course that movie did have the Karate Kid in it). Final rating: 2 out of 4 stars, wait for HBO.

Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang: A decent movie with some fairly witty dialogue at times. I think the story and set-up are pretty good and well done. But there are draw-backs. Too much forced artsy-fartsy stuff and way too many f-bombs. There are several scenes that are hysterical, but not enough to redeem it as a need to see. Final rating: 2.5 out of 4 stars, rent only if you are desparate and the movie(s) you really wanted to see are checked out.

Annapolis: The best of my recently viewed movies. This movie is kind of a mix of Rudy, Men of Honor, and Rocky. But not as feel good as Rudy and Rocky, but I enjoyed it more than Men of Honor. The main character is kind of hot/cold. Sometimes you really really like him, and others you kinda think what a jerk. It is basically a against the odds movie and you do root for him in the end. Final rating: 3 out of 4 stars, a decent choice of rentals (especially if Glory Road is checked out)

There you have it. All the news that's fit to print.

PS. 3 weeks left in Indy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home