Down my Alley

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Movie Review: The DaVinci Code

I went yesterday afternoon to see the DaVinci Code. Going in I had read a few reviews (mostly mediocre) and had heard from my family (Mom/Dad and sister) who had seen it. This is probably good because my expectations had been lowered going in as opposed the their previously high state. Here's my overall thoughts of the movie: A very good film, well done, keeps you guessing (if you haven't read the book), and makes you think. The one character felt preachy, but in actuality the Tom Hanks character defends Christianity/the church (and by the church I mean the Roman Catholic Church as it is intended to mean in the movie...not all of christianity in general). In the end, Tom Hanks has a little monologue that I think is really really good (I won't ruin it...but its good). The final rating: 3 out of 4, a should see (big screen if you haven't read the book, rental if you have).

(WARNING: I assume everyone knows the controversy, so if you don't and want to be surprised by the movie DO NOT read further)

A note on the controversy. It still cracks me up that conservative groups continue to be up in arms over this. I don't understand why Jesus marrying and having a child is such a big deal. Is Jesus not the example for our lives? If so, why is hard to believe He was an example for the married life? Humanizing Jesus does not take away from His actions/teachings or His divine standing (at least not to me), but does make Him more real. And as the occasional doubting Thomas I am, making Jesus more real is a serious thing and not just a trivial item.

Here's an interesting stat: Mary Magdalene is mentioned more in the Gospels than 5 (maybe 7) of the disciples (my Dad...a minister...gave me that one). In other words, she is a very important person in the life of Jesus.

There it is. Hope you enjoyed the read...feel free to chat me up to get further details on my thougths.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home