Down my Alley

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Car Shopping

Via discussion with my dad, and my own thoughts, we decided to do a little car shopping and try to find a vehicle that will get me through the next 5-6 years (aka. grad school). It was a fine decision since my current car (a '97 Ford Taurus with 135k miles) had car cancer. The transmission was getting goofy, only high worked on the AC, and my check engine light has been on for what seems like forever. In general, it has been a good car and I have no complaints. Last weekend, I did some car shopping, and was in general disappointed. I think the dealers I looked at were trying to take advantage of the young unknowning college kid. At one, though I was taken seriously, and went through the negotiation stages for a car. I had Dad look at it on Monday and then do some checking up on it, we talked, decided the price was right, but the intangibles and future were not as bright (it was a '96 Buick Riveria with 52k...V6 supercharged and duel muffler = power, but poor gas mileage).

This week in Terre Haute, the fair grounds hosted a tent sale for dealers. My parents looked around and checked on some cars. I came over yesterday and test drove one and we did some negotiating. Today, I came back to Terre Haute to sign the paper work and turn over the keys to my diseased Taurus. In short, I have purchased my first car (all the others in my life...Geo Metro, Grand Am, Cadillac Sedan Deville, and Ford Aerostar were courtesy of my parents...aren't they great). So, I am the proud owner of a 2001 Dodge Intrepid with 62k. It's a really nice car, drives great, and looks pretty solid (dark maroon would be my description of the color). If I knew how to post picutres on here I would...of course, I'd have to take them first.

Anyway, time to go eat with my parents and then take it for a cruise back to Indy!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home