Down my Alley

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Top 10s of 2007: Movies

Ok, if you read this amazing blog on a regular basis, you know that I am a fan of series and lists. With this thinking in mind, I am going to go on a little series of the Top 10s of 2007. This is a favorite past-time of many many places (websites and magazines). At the end of every year, you can generally find Top 10 lists on any number of things. Since one of the focuses of this site is movies, I figured that would be a good place to start.

Rules for consideration: 1) Have a 2007 theatrical release date (Jan-Nov....sorry I Am Legend and National Treasure 2), and 2) Have been viewed by me (DVD or theater...sorry many many movies). After looking up all theatrical releases for 2007 (to date), I have 48 movies to choose from. Here are my Top 10 movies of 2007.

10. TMNT - The CGI story of my favorite childhood cartoon. Amazing graphically and a decent story. Lots of nostalgia allows this to make the list.

9. Shooter - The action movie starring Mark Walhberg as a former sniper. Not the most compelling story, but more plot than expected. Not the best action movie of the year, but still a pretty good one.

8. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - The most recent HP movie (5th I believe) was a decent flick. It did not quite continue the trend of improving each movie, but it wasn't really a step back. Still entertaining and more streamlined than the other HP films.

7. The Kingdom - Basically this movie makes the list based exclusively on the final 30 minutes. I don't believe there was a more intense 30 minutes in all of movie-dom this year. Plus, it was a solid movie all around.

6. 28 Weeks Later - The sequel to the zombie movie 28 Days Later. Really entertaining zombie movie. This is likely not going to be on any other top 10 movie list, but man, I like zombie movies, and it's a good one.

5. Hot Fuzz - A buddy cop spoof movie by the guys that brought you Shaun of the Dead (a romantic comedy with zombies). This one is even better than their first film, funny, and over the top zaniness at the conclusion.

4. Live Free or Die Hard - The fourth Die Hard movie delivered on all aspects in my book. It was action packed, funny, and unbelievable. Exactly what I was looking for. Yippee-ki-yay....

3. Fracture - A cocky attorney (Ryan Gosling) meets his match to the brilliance of Anthony Hopkins (at his Hannibal-esque best). Probably the best drama that I saw this year.

2. The Bourne Ultimatum - The Jason Bourne Trilogy ends on an excellent note. Great story, and superb action. Kept you wondering how it was going to end. Excellent movie (and trilogy for that matter).

And the number 1 movie of 2007....

1. 300 - Simply awesome. From start to finish, the movie grips you and makes you want to grab your spear and tear into the bad guys. A solid story, and the most aesthetically pleasing movie ever. It is just a great film.

There you have it. I'm sure you noted the complete lack of Chick-flicks, also the underperforming blockbusters (Shrek, Spider-Man, and Pirates of the Caribbean 3), and dramas. You likely noticed the abundance of action movies. Hmmm...what's my movie preference?

Ok...stay tuned for the rest of the Top 10s of 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home