Down my Alley

Friday, November 30, 2007

Let's Critique before viewing....

I am referring to the publicity that the Golden Compass is currently receiving for being both too anti-Christian/religious, and not anti-religious enough. Before I get to far, here is the link to the USAToday.com article. Let's go ahead and get a quick disclaimer out there: I have not read the Golden Compass or the following sequels, but I am intrigued by the previews to the film (by intrigued, I mean I'll probably rent it when it comes out).

Apparently, the novels are fairly blatantly anti-religious. I haven't quite gotten a feel if they are full on atheistic, or just anti-church (specifically Catholic). Regardless, as noted in the article, the Roman Catholic church has denounced the movie and wants parents to avoid taking their kids to see it. On the other side, the American Atheists fret over the film being "watered down". You want to know what I love best about these two groups already commenting on the film is this line here: "Neither has yet seen the film, which opens Dec. 7."

You read correctly, they haven't seen it. However, they feel compelled to already tell people what to think about it. Unless I'm mistaken, but most people go to movies for entertainment purposes, and not for theological understanding (possibly for sermon ideas though). I have seen a lot of films, and I consider myself an open-minded, intelligent, and faithful person, and I have NEVER seen a film that has destroyed my beliefs, but I have seen movies that made me think.

The best, and likely most relevant person quoted in the article, comes from the co-founder of TeachWithMovies.com. She claims that most kids won't even focus on the religious undertones of the film/story. The best quote of all: "You can have faith and ask questions." Most definitely!! In fact, faith without questions is significantly weaker in my humble opinion. Even if the film raises questions, is that a bad thing? For questions require answers, and any kid asking these questions will eventually get around to an answer for themselves. Which may be the best thing anyway. If they come to their own conclusion on an issue, no longer will their answer for beliefs have to be, 'Because my parents taught me', but will be based on their research, and will be their beliefs.

Is the Golden Compass worth watching? Does it make you question your faith? Is it simply an atheistic teaching film? Or is it nothing more than an entertaining movie geared towards early teenagers? I can't answer those questions and nor do I pretend to know what the film says (unlike others), because I have NOT seen the movie....yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home