Down my Alley

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

What's in a Name?

The question rings true for my school right now. After going through a process, the school has determined a new name for itself. Previously, and when I came here, it was known as University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center. Quite the mouthful and commonly abbreviated as UCDHSC. The name served several purposes, for there are 2 campuses here in Denver. The downtown campus (typically known as UCD), and the Aurora campus (previously known as Health Sciences Center or UCHSC). After looking to shorten and make a better name for the school, it was decided that we would now be known simply as University of Colorado-Denver (or UCD). UCD will be composed of the downtown campus and the Anschutz Medical Campus (name changed due to a large chunk of money...by someone named Anschutz). Really, this doesn't affect me personally in any way, shape or form. But it does beg the question, what's in a name?

I actually liked the prior name, or at least the inclusion of Health Sciences Center. It was kind of fun to have such a huge frickin' name. UCD does roll of the tongue much easier, but doesn't really put much emphasis on the health sciences. I don't really think that the name change is going to affect enrollment or national prominence, but I could be wrong. People who get paid more than me get to make the decisions, so it doesn't really matter. The real question is if they will change the suffix on my e-mail address. We can hope not, because that's a headache I don't want to deal with.

My department/program is also contemplating a name change. However, this one involves getting longer instead of shorter. Currently, it's the Department of Pharmacology. The proposed change is Department of Pharmacology and Systems Biology. Apparently research has shown that enrollment increased at other institutions by the addition of systems biology. Again, as long as it stays pharmacology, it doesn't really affect me. I prefer the shorter name in this case (especially since I think systems biology is just some catch phrase). Oh well, it's really not up to me.

From the Anschutz Medical Campus at the University of Colorado-Denver, I'm signing off.... Enjoy your day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home