Down my Alley

Friday, October 05, 2007

Making Apple Cider

On Wednesday and at the invitation of my boss, I partook in an apple cider making party. The process was simple and the results very tasty. Everything was via manual labor and homegrown. The boss believes that this is a similar process to the old colonial days. Anyway, I'll detail the process and then load up some pictures (those others in the pics are my lab-mates)...and maybe even a video (if I figure out how to load it).

How to make apple cider:

1) Pick apples - luckily this was done before our arrival, because there were two large tubs full of apples

2) Wash apples - done by laying the apples on a grate (dog/kid gate in this case) and hose them down3) Cut apples in half - easier to mash and also allows for a worm check (discard bad apples here)4) Fill apples into masher - this was my job for the day and is self-explanatory

5) Mash the apples - done by turning a crank and making apples into little chunks of apple mash

6) Squeeze the mash - crank down on the mash and squeeze out the cider

7) Collect the cider

8) Drink and enjoy

Very simple and the result was the best apple cider I've had. I'm not much of an apple cider drinker, but this stuff is really good. So, here are the videos of making apple cider.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home