Down my Alley

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

My X-Box 360 anniversary...

or quite nearly. I received an e-mail this weekend to renew my Xbox Live membership in a month. I signed up for a year membership the day I got my system, so that means I've had my console for 11 months. Since this e-mail is fresh in my mind, and I don't feel like ranting about anything (I can, but don't want to), I will just give some of my thoughts on owning the 360.

I never would have guessed that I'd become an Xbox guy. Of course, I never thought I'd be a Playstation guy either. As a kid is was Nintendo or bust. I stuck with it through the N64. However, it became clear that PS2 was the way to go. I was going to hold out for a PS3, but the delays and the price quickly got me into the Xbox arena. With that said, I have loved my 360. It is a true joy. I'm going to list some of the best games that I have yet played on the 360, and why I like them so much.

5. Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (1 and 2): There are several things that at face value would cause me to NOT like this game. It's a third person shooter (instead of first), and it encourages squad based combat (not my favorite). However, it pulls these off without a hitch. The game and story are very interesting, the maps are excellent, use of cover is phenomenal, and intelligent squad play is not essential. It has an enjoyable multi-player, too. Still a favorite for my brother and I to play online.

4. Rainbow 6 Vegas: A tactical first person shooter (FPS) that was a great joy to play. The use of cover was simply outstanding. Use of squadmates was easy and helpful. The online terrorist hunts with my brother are still some of the most fun games we play.

3. Call of Duty 2: A World War II FPS that was all around excellent. I really enjoy WWII games (and am pumped about Medal of Honor: Airborne tomorrow), and this may very well be the best one to date. Great level design and gameplay. My biggest complaint is a complete lack of a cover system. Online sniper matches with my brother still bring great joy.

2. Gears of War: Excellent graphics, good story, and superb gameplay make this one of the greatest gaming experiences ever. I've beat the single player game 4 times (including co-op play with my bro). I still play the game online with friends (I have actually burnt out on it a little). Just an excellent game. I'm looking forward to Gears of War 2...it's only a matter of time.

And the number one game on the 360....

1. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: A first-person role playing game (RPG) set in a Lord of the Rings like fantasy world. I generally HATE RPGs, so the fact that this is the most amazing 360 game I've played is impressive. It is a single player only game, and I have put nearly 120 hours into this game alone. It is possible that I might buy an expansion or two and get another 10-15 hours out of the game. The story is awesome, and there is just nothing like hacking and slashing your way through a dungeon.

Those are the 5 best experiences I've had thus far. Madden 08 misses out by being too new, but it stands a shot at getting a lot of playing time (I'm 8-0 with my fantasy drafted team so far). There are a ton of games coming out from now until Christmas that look awesome, so it is likely that by next year, I may have a completely different top 5. I'm looking forward to games that can top this list...it'll be a good video game year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home