Down my Alley

Friday, August 17, 2007

Financially unable...on $168k/year

Before I rant, here is the article to which I am referring.

The basics: Tony Snow, White House press secretary, has announced he won't finish Bush's term at his current position. No resignation date was announced, but the reason he won't be able to continue in his current capacity, "I will not be able to make it to the end of this administration, just financially." He does have 3 children (of unlisted ages) and is undergoing cancer chemotherapy (one treatment remaining). His salary is $168,000 a year.

My issues: Financially??? What??? He makes a $168k a year...a year, and he can't continue financially? This is ridiculous. If you want to hop out of a burning ship, then do so, but don't drop horsecrap about finances. That's a ton of money. I understand that cancer treatments cost money, however, he's insured (by our tax dollars) and is about at the end of his treatments (ie, unless the cancer persist or recurs, the major costs are behind him). Raising kids cost money too, but I'm pretty sure they can survive on his current salary. My parents raised 3 kids and had all of us in college for a year, and 2 in college for 5 years. All while making significantly less than $168k per year.

Republican or not my gripes would be the same
(yep, there are a bunch of yuppy rich Democrats that would claim the same thing...I assume). If you can't survive on $168k a year, perhaps you shouldn't try and make more money, but reconsider your lifestyle. It may just be an excuse to get out of the administration, but if he is sincere about it, then...well...it's just ridiculous. Millions, some with both cancer and kids, of people get by on significantly less than he makes. Boo on you Tony Snow!

Just ridiculous. Ok, I'm done. {steps down from soapbox}

2 Comments:

  • You know, he wouldn't have any financial problems in the budget was law. Come to think of it, that might not be a bad rule for everyone in the government to hold too. . .

    By Blogger SeanXor, at August 19, 2007 at 8:44:00 AM EDT  

  • True...we need Abigail to run...and Dave Ramsey can be her VP. That way the budget will be balanced. That could be a shirt: "My wife and Dave Ramsey could balance the national budget"

    By Blogger ButlerBowldog, at August 19, 2007 at 11:12:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home