Down my Alley

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Roller Derby

On Friday night, I went and watched the Denver Mile High Club Roller Girls roller derby "bout" against the Kansas City Roller Warriors All-Stars. Aside from having some of the longest team names in the history of any kind of quasi-sporting event, it was fairly entertaining. I pretty much knew what to expect having watched the old school roller derby on TV (Bay City Bombers anyone?) and even the occasional viewing when Spike TV tried re-introducing it (several years ago...it didn't last).

What was nearly as interesting as the bout itself was people watching? There was an interesting mix of people. From young (fair number or 7-12 year olds) to old (~65-70). From normal (ie. me) to the odd (that's the nice way to put it). It was a "cultural experience". If it were cheaper I would consider going again, but at $15, it wasn't that good.

My roommate assured me it was more fun to watch while drunk. I'll have to take her word on it. I can honestly now say that I have been to a roller derby.

PS - Denver lost to KC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home