Down my Alley

Friday, January 19, 2007

Harry Potter in Schools

In Georgia, a woman is appealling the school board decision to keep Harry Potter books in the library of public schools. She complained to the school board and the case/complaint was considered and rejected. So, she decides to move on and appeal the process. Her reasoning for why Harry Potter should not be in schools: because it teaches/promotes witchcraft to children and she claims God wants her to ("I wouldn't do it, if the Lord didn't want me to.") She has the backing of His Voice Today (hisvoicetoday.org). The website claims "Harry Potter is being used to teach and promote witchcraft, Wicca, a U.S. Gov't recognized religion, in our schools, classrooms, and to this entire generation."

Based on this quote, it seems to me that this organization and woman are trying to use teaching a religion at a public institution as their arugment. If that is the case, then all C.S. Lewis books (Chronicles of Narnia) need to be removed as well. They are fictional works, but used as allegories to promote Christianity. I somehow doubt that the parent or His Voice Today would agree with that logic (thus proving their flawed point of view). This is a ridiculous case and absolute craziness.

Aside from wanting to remove what is popular and seemingly good literature from schools, my primary argument against this appeal is the rationale. Both the woman and His Voice Today are claiming to know God's will about Harry Potter books. I previously quoted the woman, but His Voice Today states: "
This decision to appeal was made after much prayer and consideration, and significant answers to prayer confirming God's will regarding this case." I almost always have trouble when people claim to know God's will. I believe you can come to an understanding, a belief, but I don't think anyone truly knows God's will. I consider myself a smart guy, and have never been able to grasp God's will on a logical/fundamental level, let alone a practical, live model. I have no doubt that the members pursuing this believe they are one hundred percent correct and right in doing so, but keep in mind, many suicide bombers also believe they are doing God's will and are one hundred percent correct. (NOTE: I'm not meaning to say that appealing Harry Potter is as bad as suicide bombing, but I'm just trying to make the point that stupid things get done under the assumption "knowing the will of God.")

Final thoughts. Harry Potter is perfectly acceptable for public school libraries. Getting kids to read is a very very good thing. If it takes a teenage wizard, then fine by me. It's not like the books encourage illegal behavior or even cruel behavior. I seriously doubt God has major concerns over Harry Potter in public schools. Comments and thoughts appreciated.

Links to the story:

http://www.hisvoicetoday.org/index.htm

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/01/antiharry_potte.html

http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=90663

http://www.ajc.com/gwinnett/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2007/01/18/0118gwxpotter.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home