Down my Alley

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

My Christmas Break

I know its been a bit since I've updated on the goings on in my life, so I will accomplish that today with this post. Basically I'm going to recap the 2 1/2 weeks I spent back in Indiana over Christmas. While I don't get an official Christmas Break, I am allowed to take time off (vacation time). So without further ado, here's what happened on my time off.

I had previously posted about the snow and my difficulties in arriving, so I won't belabor that point. But due to snow and rescheduling my flight, I arrived in Indy around 11pm on Christmas Eve and home in Terre Haute at 12:30 am Christmas Day. Christmas Day was spent with my immediate family (Mom/Dad, siblings, and siblings-in-law). It was really good to see and spend time with everyone. Did some bowling on Wednesday with Dad. Thursday was spent in Tell City seeing my Mom's side of the family (Grandma, Aunt and Uncle). We spent some time moving my Grandma into a nursing home, but it was still good to see family. I went to Indy with my brother, sister and their spouses from Tell City. The following day, my brother and I played video games...lots of video games. Played a few more on Saturday, then went to my Uncle's for Dad's side of the family (Grandma and Carl, Aunt and Uncle, Cousins). Another nice time with family. Returned with my parents to Terre Haute.

New Years Eve was spent at church and then to a bowling tournament (40 frame game). I won the tournament (that was good). Then home for pizza and movies (Invincible and Mission Impossible III). Said Happy New Year, then off to bed. New Year's Day saw another bowling tournament. I didn't do great, but Dad won it (so that was good). Tuesday I went to Indy to see some college friends. We just hung out and talked and had some supper. It was nice. Then I spent the night at my brother's and played some more video games (that night and the next morning). Returned to Terre Haute and bowled.

That weekend though, my Grandma (Mom's mom) took a turn and was put in the hospital. She was put on a respirator and things did not look good. Saturday my siblings and their spouses came to Terre Haute to go out to eat, but instead we went to Evansville to see my Grandma (and say our goodbyes). It was a tough time, but good to see her. A Shyler's trip did come out of it, so that was good despite the bad situation. Sunday, I have my bags packed and go to church with Dad. Midway through Sunday school my mom calls and says they pulled the plug and Grandma passed away. I then reschedule my flight and Dad and I go to Tell City. The next couple of days are spent getting things ready for the funeral. Visitation Tuesday and funeral on Wednesay. It was a very good service (Dad was the officiant and I read some scripture). The next day (Thursday), I returned to Denver. Took the weekend to get resituated and then returned to work on Monday.

My break was really good for 2 weeks, sad for a couple of days, but I wouldn't change a thing. I saw family and friends. The snow forced a rescheduled flight that allowed me to be in town for my mom during Grandma's turn. God works in mysterious ways, huh?

Well, that was my break. Trying to get back into the grind of things here. Stay tuned for more exciting post by yours truly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home