Down my Alley

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Best of Christmas: Traditions

Continuing the best of Christmas series, this time I treat you with my Top 5 Christmas Traditions. This topic will make it more difficult to disagree or argue with because each family has its own Christmas traditions. So read and enjoy. It was tough to separate this from Christmas memories because many of the traditions are tied to memories and whatnot, but I will attempt to avoid many specifics in case they overlap with my top memories (future post). Also note, that most of these traditions are from my childhood, as things have changed with my siblings getting married and my recent departure to Colorado.

Ok, Top 5 Christmas Traditions (ranked order)

5. Family and Food - My family has always had the youngest kids (compared to aunts/uncles and cousins), plus since my Dad's a minister he has to work Christmas Eve, extended family has always came to our house. My grandparents on my Dad's side would visit a day or two before Christmas, Christmas day would have pretty much everyone come in. Visiting with family can be nice, but the day shined because of the food. Ham, cheesy potatoes, corn and bread (there were other things, but these were the best) and good desserts. Great meal...and on the good china (not that I ever cared, but it was there...used once or twice a year).

4. Movies - Not necessarily Christmas movies. Every year numerous movies are exchanged amongst our family (many, many movies), and over the course of the next several days, we watch them (not all, but many). Also, there is often a family (immediate, not extended) trip to the theaters to see a recent release. It is always fun to enjoy these movies with family.

3. Decorating the Tree - One of the quintessential Johnson family traditions. Shortly after the Thanksgiving (often that weekend, or the following), all Christmas decorations would came out of the basement or attic. The kids were allowed to select 5 ornaments for the main tree (the rest went on our own Charlie Brown Christmas tree). Then we would apply our 5 and assist with the numerous ornaments our parents have collected over the years all while listening to some Mannheim Steamroller. It was always a fun activity.

2. Christmas Eve Candlelight Service - I don't remember the exact year I started to attend these, but ever since it really is something I look forward to. Different churches do it different ways, but the staples are music, the Christmas story, and Silent Night in candlelight. The preferred method is to start the service at 11 pm and have it end at 12 am. It's a great way to bring in Christmas Day. If you haven't been to one, check it out.

And the Best Christmas Tradition.....

1. Santa Gifts - As little kids, my parents allowed us to believe in Santa Claus, and we would wake up on Christmas day and find our presents in piles in front of the Christmas tree. Even after we found out Santa was make believe, we still received our gifts from our parents in this manner. I mean all the way through high school and a little beyond. It was always fun and neat. As a kid, I couldn't hardly sleep and woke up ridiculously early to see what I got, but as I aged I would sleep in and in fact had to be woken up. Anyway, it was a great tradition that I really enjoyed.

There really are no honorable mentions, most of those rated more as memories instead of traditions. Keep posted for more Best of Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home