Down my Alley

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Amendment 43 / Referendum I (it's long)

As promised, it's issue time. I know that many have been eagerly awaiting this, and now you don't have to wait any longer. Here's a quick heads-up. Colorado has a ton of amendments and referendums on the ballot this year, so I have decided to start there as my guide for issues. Go here if you want to read summaries or the entire legalese versions. So without further ado, let me get on to the issue.

Today I'm going to voice my opinion on Amendment 43 and Referendum I. Quick highlight, Amendment 43 proposes that the state constitution defines marriage as between a man and a woman. Similarly related is Referendum I which would establish same-sex partnerships (domestic partnerships) many of the same rights afforded to spouses. Since these are so closely related, I'm addressing them together.

Amendment 43. I oppose this for several reasons. First, in CO, marriage is already recognized as a man and a woman, there is no need to make it constitutional. Secondly, I do not oppose same-sex marriage. Here is my reasoning. 1) There is no reason a same-sex couple should not be allowed to commit themselves in a legally recognized monogamous loving relationship; 2) It does NOT undermine marriage (sanctity of marriage should start with making it harder to get married, and harder to get divorced...unless abuse is present). Gay couples do not alter or affect the status of other peoples marriages.; 3) It is NOT a religious issue. If it was, then only churches/ministers/priests should be allowed to marry. However, plenty of non-religious people marry on a daily basis. Just go to the justice of the peace and have it done. So I don't view that as a fair argument. To deny marriage of same-sex people on a religious point of view would also mean denying the marriage of millions of others. ; 4) Same-sex couples are not damaging to children. There is no logic that supports that children raised by homosexuals are going to be deliquent. It doesn't necessarily result in more homosexuals either. Just consider that current homosexuals were most likely born to heterosexual couples (ie. environment doesn't tell the whole story).; 5) Of all issues in elections, this rates as nearly unimportant on a state and national scale (unless you are homosexual). Taxes, war, education, illegal immigration are far more important issues. However, gay marriage is constantly being brought up as most important (or a "values vote"). Please ask yourself, what will affect you (and your family) most? Taxes? Economy? Education? or Gay marriage? I don't see how anyone can say that gay marriage will affect them (and the nation) more than those other items (again, unless the person is homosexual).

Now if you agree with a candidates position on Economy and taxes, but disagree on education and war in Iraq, then consider gay marriage as a tie-breaker.

Ok, now for Referendum I. This allows same-sex couples to file and be certified as a domestic parntership. It gives many rights to the couple that is afforded to spouses. Visitation rights in hospitals, family leave, property inheritance rights, dependent status for insurance, incurring debt, and others. I fully support this. It gives rights to a committed same-sex couple. There are criteria for couples to apply and be awarded the certification, as well as, criteria to dissolve the certification. Opponents will claim that this is marriage under a different name, while the support slogan is "It's not marriage, it's basic legal rights." Again, I wonder why some are so against same-sex couples. Should they not be allowed to have these rights to care for and live with a loved one? I for one believe that many of these rights should be awarded.

On the whole, I see gay rights as a civil issue similar to racism (generally less violent though). I think that same-sex couples should be afforded all rights of heterosexual couples. I do not believe that being homosexual is always a choice. I honestly think that the number of people who choose (like choosing Coke over Pepsi) to be homosexual is the minority.

Ok, that's the start. It's tough to get all of my thoughts out here on this, but it gives you the general gist. I appreciate comments (thoughtful, constructive kinds).

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home