Down my Alley

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Amendment 42

I did have a test yesterday and saw two movies over the weekend and finished a book. So you can expect some reviews of each of those items in the next couple of days, but today is election day, so it seems right to do another issues topic. This one is generally not quite so controversial as my last one, but still important. Again, CO has many constitutional amendments and referendums on the ballot. Check them all out here. So, amendment 42 deals with the minimum wage.

Overview: Proposal to increase minimum wage from $5.15 to $6.85 for salaried workers, and from $2.13 to $3.85 for workers recieving tips. There is also a provision to increase this wage annually based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI).

My thoughts: I truly believe that the minimum wage should be increased. It has been at the $5.15 level for nearly a decade (possibly 11 years...not really sure, but it's been awhile). Considering the price increase of some necessities (especially gas), it is crazy that the minimum wage hasn't increased. I favor an increase.

But I do have my reservations about this amendment. While I believe the minimum wage should be increased, I'm not sure a constitutional amendment that stipulates yearly increases is the best way to go. The problem with yearly increases means that employers are paying more and therefore have to charge more for product and so the increase gets offset. A one-time increase that will last for several years will be less likely to do this (I think). Also, it is difficult to foresee what the future will bring. Tough economic times down the road could be worsened by mandatory minimum wage increases.

Final thoughts: I think that an increase is needed, and that the minimum wage should be monitored annually. I don't believe that a required yearly increase should be done. I'm not sure how I'm going to vote on this one, I am a little torn over the 2 aspects. I fear a vote against Amendment 42 could result in more years at $5.15, but a vote for Amendment 42 could result in some hard economic times for CO down the road (especially if we continue to elect Presidents like our current one....sorry, had to say it).

Thanks for reading....those reviews will be coming soon.

1 Comments:

  • Hey it was nice to read the Amendment 42...well you are a student have an interest in politics to that extent..appreciable.

    Well, I am also studying Pharmacy not in the true sense though because I'm doing Pharmaceutical Technology...would be nice to get in touch with you. Mail me rathi.akshat@gmail.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 7, 2006 at 12:39:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home