Down my Alley

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Best of Christmas: Music (songs)

Continuing with my December thematic postings, it is time for Best of Christmas: Music (songs). I emphasize songs so as to not confuse you with artists/groups (which is a possible post of its own). So, as with the previous post (Best of Christmas: Movies....if you missed it, scroll down and check it out), the list will be a top five in ranked order. Without further ado, here is the list.

Best Christmas Music (in my humble opinion)

5. We Three Kings - Despite the biblical inaccuracies of this song (note: the Bible never states their were three, nor states they were kings), I really like it. Good chorus and not one of your stereotypical Christmas carols (many of which I'm not a fan of). A good start to my list.

4. Silent Night - Probably the most recognized Christmas song of them all. However, also one of the best. There's just something about a candlelight Christmas Eve service (11 pm - 12 am) that ends with only candles and christmas lights on while singing Silent Night. A really neat scene.

3. Charol of the Bells - This one makes this list more for its instrumental quality as opposed to the lyrics. Don't get me wrong, the lyrics are ok and with a good choir it can be done well. But where this song shines is in instrumental form. And primarily my favorite single Christmas song is "Christmas Eve Sarajevo" (aka Carol of the Bells) by Transiberian Orchestra...now that is awesome!

2. Little Drummer Boy - I think this is a solid blend of intrumental and lyrics. I also like the fact that this is a Christian based fictional story. I love the story of this song. A boy with no possessions wants to bring a gift to the Christ-child, so he chooses to play his drum for Him. It's great. For whatever reason, this is one of the best Christmas songs.

And the best christmas song ever.....

1. O Holy Night - An absolutely amazing song. Either instrumental (I really liked the brass group performance on Studio 60 this past Monday on NBC) or vocal, this is a great song. I especially enjoy it acapella (with a really good vocalist, of course). Really drives home the meaning of the season. At Washington (IN) Christ UMC, they have a woman sing this song, and it is beautiful.

Honorable mentions: Jingle Bell Rock, The Night Santa Went Crazy (by Weird Al), Dominic the Italian Christmas Donkey (just kidding...but all my Butler friends should laugh), O Come all Ye Faithful

There they are. Bust out your Christmas albums and listen to these 5 great songs. Stay tuned for the rest of my Best of Christmas series.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home