Down my Alley

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Basketball

It's no surprise that I really enjoy playing basketball. While at Butler, I played at least once a week, often twice. However, during rotations that number slipped, and since moving to Colorado I hadn't touched a basketball. Well, that changed a week ago. I've signed up for a college/community league. I'm on a Co-ed team that plays on Monday nights. Let's just say that it feels like it's been 9 months since I've played. The combination of being out of shape, having asthma, and altitude cause me to start sucking wind very very quickly. I know my limits and I do what I can...I'm just there to have fun win or lose. Anyway, we now have two games under our belts and I'll give you a quick rundown.

Game 1 - Our opponent didn't have enough players so we won by forfeit. They picked up a few people standing around and we just played some pickup basketball. I finished 1-1 with a 3-pointer, 1 block, and a good number of rebounds.

Game 2 (last night) - We started the game with 4 players (4 on 5), but held our own against the team with about 10 players. I finished 0-5 (0-2 3-pointers), 2 steals and numerous boards. We won 23-21 (20 min, running clock halves...it was a defensive game).

We have a 6'6" guy on the team who just bodies his way around in the post. Because of this I find myself setting picks and flirting around on the outside. This is somewhat unusual territory for me. I normally play the post and occasionally step out for a jumper. With my primary role shaping up to be rebounding, defense, and jump shots, my rust is clearly evident. I really need to get out (and find a place) to shoot around and get a bit of rhythm with my jumper. Let me get set and I can hurt a team from long range.

Regardless, its been good to get out and stretch my legs and play some ball. It'll be even better once I get better adapted to running, the altitude + exercise, and get a shooting groove.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home