Down my Alley

Monday, September 05, 2005

Many goings-on

I realize I haven't posted many posts of my thoughts on things. Generally I just give updates about what I am doing. So, I'll give a quick recent hightlight, and then move-on to some recent events and my thoughts.

Update: Started a new rotation this past week. It is going to be good, the people are nice, but it does require a lot of off-site work on my part. I'm not used to this, but it must be done, so I'm going to do it. Secondly, I've spent this weekend home. It's been nice to catch up with the ole fam. Wish I would've bowled better in the tournament on Saturday, but I did get Shyler's (greatests BBQ ever) out of the deal. In fact I've eaten well...too well....Shyler's, steak and baked potato dinner, mom's biscuit and gravy, Gasthof (amish buffet), Bobe's pizza, and homemade waffles. Darn good food, that I don't cook for myself. That's been my life.

Now recent events.

Katrina - This is without a doubt a terrible natural disaster. I truly feel for all those people. I just hope that the generosity currently present, continues, because the problem is not going to be better (possibly worse) in 3-6 months. I've heard several people say (some possible jokingly, but some serious) that this was God's way of wiping out a sinful city. I am truly bothered by this. Are the people of New Orleans really more sinful than people in Vegas, New York, Indianapolis? I have my doubts, especially since it's been my opinion that a sin is a sin in the eyes of God. I don't believe He qualifies them. I think the people who have that kind of theology need to realize that not just bad people died and lost everything, a lot of good Christian people also died and lost everything. I also don't believe God causes each hurricane and I don't believe He directs them on where to hit land (yes, He created the world and the weather patterns, but does not choose when hurricanes strike). Anyway, continue to give and support missions to the Gulf Shore, and most importantly, continue to pray?

Supreme Court - I was truly bummed when I heard Rhenquist (spelling?) had died. I'll be honest, my saddened feeling had much less to do with the death of a person, and more to do with the fact that Bush gets 2 nominations to the court. There has been little if anything that Bush has done/said that I agree with. I am concerned with him having 2 nominations because he can now try to load the court with conservatives/ultra-conservatives. His first nomination seems to actually be a bit more moderate, but I am a little out of touch and not up on all the news. I'm not sure how this will play out....only time will tell.

Worry/Joy - I know I'm a little biased, but I can honestly say there are slim to no ministers I'd rather hear preach than my dad. He is a great speaker, always with a great message, and never more than 18-20 minutes (this is key!!!). Anyway, his sermon yesterday was very good and I thought I'd pass on the main point. He preached that a faithful Christian should be joyful and not worry. Worry and joy are a faith issue. With faith in God, then worry is not required and that being joyful is the best option. Whenever worry creeps in, realize it as a faith issue, say a prayer, and be joyful. A good message for us all.

Well, that's all for today. Thanks for reading. Signing off....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home