Down my Alley

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Speak English!!!!

Ok, I'll admit, this is a bit of a soapbox and a major pet peeve of mine. First, let me say that I truly believe all people have the right to live, work, drive, and vote in this country. But just because this is a free country, does not mean you can continue and NOT speak english. It drives me nuts that so much time and money is spent to make double copies, print double signs, take extra time to figure out translations, just to appease those people who do NOT ever learn to speak English. I know this is a difficult language, and if you are brand spanking new to the country, then I'll give you some leeway in learning. It is the people who have lived here for 5+ years that still have no idea how to speak the language that absolutely drive me looney. Here's all I know. If I were to move to Spain to live, I would need to learn to speak Spanish (I may be able to get around on English a bit, but to be productive I'd have to learn the language). Same applies for any other American who wants to live in France, Germany, Russia, etc. etc. etc. If you want to live and work in the United States, jump through the hoops for a green card or visa or whatever documentation is needed, pay your taxes, and learn to speak the frickin' language. If you want to speak your native language to friends, family, that's fine, but learn the language to order food, read signs and directions, pick up medicines, etc.. It kills me that people feel they should be catered to, just because this is America and is land of the free.

That's all. Just learn some English!

2 Comments:

  • Concuerdo con usted. Yo no entiendo por qué personas no toman tiempo de entender el langugage. Yo también no entiendo por qué nosotros tenemos que acomodar. Hay ahora escuelas en los estados unidos donde clases se enseñan en español. ¿Cómo podemos ayudar nosotros a personas si hacemos no realmente hlp ellos?

    By Blogger SeanXor, at April 14, 2005 at 7:54:00 AM EST  

  • For those like me who have no idea what my brother said (the fact that he posted in spanish is not lost on me), here's the translation according to a free internet translation site:

    "I agree with you. I do not understand why people do not take time to understand the langugage. I also not understand why have we to accommodate. There are now schools in the United States where classes are taught in spanish. How can we help we to people if do not really hlp they?"

    By Blogger ButlerBowldog, at April 14, 2005 at 9:32:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home