Down my Alley

Friday, April 15, 2005

Picking a grad school (a long post)

Right now, one of the largest things occupying my thoughts, are where would I like to go to grad school. I would like to narrow the list down to probably a top 5 by the end of the summer. This will narrow my focus and make it easier in the application process. If it didn't cost $50-$75, I would apply to alot of schools, but at the price, I'll probably shoot for 3-5 schools. Since most don't know what schools offer a PhD in pharmacology, here's the list:

Auburn, Boston U, Brown, Case West. Reserve U, Columbia, Cornell, Creighton, Dartmouth, Drexel, Duke, Duquesene, East Carolina, East Tenn. St., Emory U, Florida A&M, Georgetown, GW, Harvard, Howard U, Idaho St., IU, IUPUI, John Hopkins, Kent St., Loma linda U, Long Island U, Loyola-chi., mayo, Mich St., New York U, NC st., Northeastern, Northwestern, Nova SE U, Ohio St., Purdue, Rutgers, St. John's, St. Louis U, So.Ill., Stanford, Stony Brook, Temple, Tufts, Tulane, U of buffalo, UAB, Arizona, UC (davis, irvine, LA, SD, San Fran), Uchicago, U cincy, Uconn, Uflorida, U of GA, U hawaii, U of Houston, UIC, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, L-ville, Maryland, miami (FL), mich., minnesota, missippi, missouri, monatana, U Nevada -Reno, UNC, North Dakota, Penn., Pitt., Rhode Island, Rochester, So. ala., So. Dakota, So. CA, So. FL, Pacific, Toledo, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wash., Wisconsin, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Wake Forest, Wash. St., Wayne St., W. VA, Wright State, Yale, Yeshiva

Here's the criteria as I see it that should weigh in on my decision (plus my personal wants).

1 - Research area --> most schools offer similar research areas and this should be a major factor, but again this doesn't narrow the list a bunch (personal preference: toxicology, molecular pharmacology, genetics, receptor binding)

2 - Location --> again a major factor (personally, out of the midwest (esp. IN), someplace reasonably warm, NOT cold....the Carolinas and AZ/NM/CO are leading in my own head)

3 - Benefits --> this one is relatively null, each school that I've looked at, offers relatively similar benefits for acceptance: stipend ($18,000-$22,000), full tuition and books, health insurance are commonly included

4 - Cost of living --> somewhat important and related to location (personally I would like someplace comparable to Indianapolis...not someplace ridiculously expensive...ie Hawaii is probably out)

Those are the major factors as I currently see them. Let me know if you can think of others, or have a personal opinion.

Other consistencies across the board: 4-5 years (2 of class work, 2-3 of research/dissertation), lots of research, oppurtunities for fellowships and research/teaching assistants.

Wherever I end up, I would plan to get licensed in that state and work a very limited schedule as a floater pharmacists at a retail chain. I would also bowl whenever possible and save 1 weekend in March/April to bowl the ABC. Those are givens.

That's all. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

1 Comments:

  • I haven't looked into PhDs in pharmacology, but I will give you my opinion on the FL schools.

    *I personally hate FAMU with a passion, in my experience they aren't very organized and it's very difficult to get information from them (as well as for each of the individual offices there to get information from each other).

    *Nova used to be kind of known for giving you whatever degree you want as long as you pay your money, from what I see now though, it looks like they are doing a pretty good job of overcoming this, it is private, so it might be a little more expensive.

    *I assume when you say So. FL you mean USF, USF is my Alma Mater, and while I graduated with a BA in psych, and not science, I have nothing but praise for them. I have no regrets about my undergrad education and would recommend it to anyone considering it. Though, it is a smaller school and carries a little less clout than UF. USF is in a good location, in general though the cost of living is considered to be a little higher, but it all depends on where you live and what you think high is.

    *UF is where I'm getting my pharm.D. so, I'm kind of honor-bound to send a glowing report. It's a good school, and a degree from UF would probably be viewed higher than a degree from any other FL school, but this is subjective. UF is in a college town, which could be good or bad depending on how you view it, but the cost of living should be do-able. And it probably has more research funding than any other school in FL.

    *I am very surprised that FSU doesn't have a program. And I don't know anything about U. Miami.

    And of course, Florida isn't midwestern, and it is pretty hot most of the year.
    And finally I've only ever heard glowing things about purdue (nothing specific about the program, just a general observation).
    That probably doesn't help at all, but I figured I'd put in my 2 cents anyway.

    By Blogger Malissa, at April 20, 2005 at 10:40:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home