Down my Alley

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Three Movie Reviews

This past weekend I experienced a slew of movie viewing consisting of two trips to the actual theater (I know, impressive). Since I'm due for an update and I've got these three films in my mind, this post just seemed natural. I'm going to review the films in chronological order...which also turns out to be best to worst. Without further ado...

Iron Man
Starring: Robert Downey, Jr., Gwenyth Paltrow, Terrence Howard, and Jeff Bridges

Synopsis: The owner of a weapons company is captured by terrorists and held hostage to make weapons for them. Instead he creates and iron suit. After returning to civilization, he has a change of mind about weapons and chooses instead to perfect his suit and get rid of all his weapons in the wrong hands.

Review: A superbly entertaining film. I'll let it be known that I've never read the comics, so I'm not sure how faithful it stayed. Downey, Jr. is excellent. Whether as a arrogant playboy millionaire, or as a man concerned with others well being, he is always believable and plays the role perfectly. The character development is sound. The story workable, and the special effects outstanding. Right up there with Spiderman 2 as the best comic book movie to date. I give this one 4 1/2 out of 5. Highly recommend the big screen for this one.



Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
Starring: The kids from the first one, some guy you've never heard of, and Warwick Davis

Synopsis: The kids from the first return to Narnia after 1300 years (Narnia time) has passed. Narnia has been captured by a group of humans known as Telmarines, and the mythical creatures are in hiding. The titular Prince Caspian and original kids unite with the Narnians (the creatures) to battle the Telmarines for control of the land.

Review: Let me get the disclaimer that I've never read the novel, so I can't make claims about how faithful this adaptation was. Compared to the first CoN movie, this one has a darker tone and more action. Both of which were greatly welcomed, as I felt the first was rather campy. However, I felt a little lost in the story, where the first was pretty much laid out for all to know, this keeps things unsaid for nearly the entire movie. As a Christian allegory, it only works if you are looking for it. It is certainly not an in your face type of movie, and not as obvious as the first. I give this one 4 out of 5 stars. If you liked the original, check it out on the big screen (the battle scenes are worth it), otherwise wait until DVD.




The Orphanage
Starring: Spanish actors

Synopsis: A lady returns to her childhood home (an orphanage) with her husband and adopted child to run a home for mentally challenged children. Her son sees and plays with make believe friends that worries his mother. Her son disappears and she seeks out answers believing that his make believe friends are actual ghosts.

Review: I don't normally do foreign language films, but was intrigued by the idea of a good ghost story. I never really got around to liking this movie, but at the same time, did not hate it. Every time things started to get tense, the movie just lets it slide. The end result was a somewhat boring film that didn't live up to its potential of being an edge of the seat thriller. Needless to say I'm not really recommending this one to people. I give it 2 1/2 out of 5 stars. It is possible that people who like artsy-fartsy might like it more than I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home