Down my Alley

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Welcome to the world of HD

Ok...kinda, sorta...the world of HD. I am on the verge of buying a very nice high quality television. And by on the verge, I mean, I'm going to pick it up after work today. I've spent the last several weeks doing online browsing, and also checking reviews and buying guides. Here's what I've found out: 1) 1080i is not advantageous below 50" screens, 2) Plasma is the cheaper option greater than 50", but is more expensive less than that (stick with LCD), 3) Only buy a TV that is digital capable (since in a year, non-digital TVs are going to require a converter), 4) Take all reviews with a grain of salt and use your own intelligence, 5) Contrast ratio numbers shouldn't be taken too seriously (trust your eye), and finally, 6) Stick within your price range (it quickly becomes justifiable to slide out of it).

Here's why I want a better TV: 1) I've had my 19" TV/VCR combo for 8 years, 2) I want a sharper image for TV and movies, and most importantly, 3) For a better video gaming experience. That's really the key. I've decided on a flat-panel, LCD, HDTV, 32", 720p set. After doing much pricing, and setting a budget, I do believe I've settled on a set. It's not yet official, but the likely winner is....



The Sony 32" Bravia M-Series LCD HDTV, model: KDL-32M3000 (girl not included...too bad). Sears had one as a display model, and the picture was stunning (best of all the 32" sets). However, I'm likely to buy it from Circuit City ($100 marked down, plus an additional $50 rebate...makes it slightly cheaper than Sears). With those deals, it falls right into my budget (my sister-in-law {and Dave Ramesy} would be proud). Now, keep in mind, I've not yet ordered it, and that makes this subject to change, but I was super impressed with the image and Sony's reputation (currently #1 via Consumer Reports for 32" HDTVs...thanks for the info Dad). I'm now just dying to go pick it up, hook it up, and play some games (COD4 here I come).

And another image of it, just for fun (no dancing girl this time).

Height: 23.2" on base; Width: 32.4"; Depth: 8.5" on base; Weight: 36 lbs. on base

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home