Down my Alley

Friday, January 25, 2008

Let's Talk Politics...sort of

I've been thinking about doing a slightly more serious post related to politics. However, I'm always reluctant to throw out my thoughts and opinions on hot topic (ie controversial) areas. Mostly because I don't want to make people mad, and I respect people to have different opinions than I. Why the change of heart you might ask? Well, there are a few reasons: 1) It's constantly in the news and 2) I've recently read some things by friends of mine that have gotten me thinking. So, this post is mostly to discuss my disagreements with friends comments. Again, I respect people to have different opinions, and I'm not planning on losing friendship over politics (I'm in the minority with a lot of my friends anyway). Without further ado, let's get started.

Issue 1: I originally received an e-mail from friend X (no names to protect the innocent) about Barack Obama. The e-mail was basically one of those chain e-mails that go around. However, this one was unabashedly anti-Obama accusing him of being Muslim and having Islam ties. Based upon, his father being Islamic and having spent less than a year in a Muslim ran school (due to country of residence at the time). Anyway, I did a quick amount of research and responded to the e-mail. The original e-mail was uncited, and didn't make any pretenses to be unbiased. That's not the part that really bothered me, but it was this comment back form my friend in response to me: "...if I recall this guy [Obama] is pro-abortion...shedding of innocent blood Kyle (not pleasing to God in any way and our nation will be judged if we don't put a stop to it)."

What?? God is going to judge our nation due to abortion? This sounds a bit Jerry Falwell-esque and Westboro Baptist Church-like relating to Sept. 11 attacks. We deserved it because of gays, abortion and other various sins of our country. Plus, I hate the terms pro-abortion and pro-life. They really generally don't fit the people in the camps (a whole post in its own right). It bugged me. It's fine if you don't agree with Obama and his views, but to say that his set of beliefs will result in our nation being judged (with the implication that bad consequences follow) is ludicrous. Will unwarranted attacks by us on other countries also have us judged? I don't see God in the vindictive, Old Testament way interacting in our world. Anyway, it bugged me to see this comment.

Issue 2: Friend Y posted a note (basically a blog) on Facebook about his current election thoughts. In it, he was originally excited about Obama (being they are both half-African). But after reading about an abortion case, he decided Obama wasn't the right candidate for him. This didn't bother as much, but I do not like someone fully deciding (or nixing) a candidate for a single issue. But that's not the bug-a-boo in this case. He said that there is one person he cannot vote for: Hillary Clinton because she's a woman. The justification was that no woman should "teach or to have authority over a man" [1 Tim: 2-12].

What?? We can't have a woman President (or should even vote for one) because a woman shouldn't TEACH or have authority over a man. If you disagree with her policies and platform, then fine, don't vote for Hillary, but because she's a woman, and a verse in the Bible says women can't teach. Note, an earlier verse also says women shouldn't braid their hair, wear gold or pearls (verse 9). The title of the section is "instructions on worship", not politics and everyday life. I'm a Christian, and believe the Bible, but context is crucial. The societal setting of the Bible was not exactly a feministic culture. I firmly believe that women can (and should) be able to hold public office and be clergy. I'm a United Methodist that also holds this same belief. There is no reason, a woman can't teach me (I've had a lot of female teachers in my school years, and my mom has taught me a lot) basic things or theological things. I think what bothers me most is that all of the candidates are going to fail on some Biblical account (aside from being a human), but somehow being a man makes it ok.

Again, I'm not mad at my friends. I'm not trying to attack them. I respect their friendship, and have had valued conversations with them. But I just wanted to respond to comments I can't quite fathom. I may not have it all right, but that's the cool thing about politics, religion and faith. No one can tell you how to think, and no one's thoughts are better than another.

Thanks for reading. As of now, I have not declared support for any Presidential candidate. I am very interested in seeing how all of this plays out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home