Down my Alley

Friday, November 18, 2005

Proud owner of....

an 18-pound turkey. Yep, that's right, I have an 18-pound turkey in my freezer. Why do I have an 18-pound turkey (this is a question you may be asking yourself)? Well, let me explain (in a round about way). I bowl in a league on Thursday nights at Expo Bowl on Indy's south side. Apparently, this league has a tradition of giving away turkeys. Last night, I throw the ball very well and shoot games of 243-204-203 = 650. I was clean (no opens) in game 1, 1 open in game 2 and 2 opens in game 3 (Good thing there was no game 4 or else I would have had 3 opens...I know a pattern when I see it). Pretty decent shooting...above my 208 average I currently had out there (that should be going up after last night). Ok, back to the turkey. This league has a tradition where every team gets a turkey...that's right, 1 turkey for all 40 teams in the league. How do they determine who gets the turkey on each team? Well, I'm glad you asked. The answer is of course, high series with handicap. So I shoot 650 + 3 (1 pin handicap/game) = 653. The next closest on my team was around 600 to 620 with handicap (I think). That makes me.... Another Lucky Winner!!!

With no personal need for a turkey of any size, let alone an 18-pounder, I offered to my other teammates (seeing as they have more people to feed than myself). However, they were both going to be out of town (for turkey day) and didn't want/need it. So, I'm donating the turkey to Christ UMC in Washington, IN, where I will serve it as part of the free Thanksgiving dinner they put on for the community.

A good night of bowling and a good deed done. Be sure to read up, 3 posts this week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home