Down my Alley

Monday, October 24, 2005

A Boys Weekend (Zombies, Doom and Video Games)

My sister-in-law was out of town this weekend, so my brother and I planned a weekend doing stuff that she would probably prefer to not do. It started on Friday with a picture scavenger hunt (some contest my brother found online). We hit up the mall and generally made fools of ourselves (not all that hard to do). Saturday night consisted of Land of the Dead (a Zombie movie) and video games. All-in-all Land of the Dead was fairly decent...as far as Zombie movies go. It knew what it was and didn't try to be anything else. Had some good lines, plenty of gore, and some good action. I'd rank it right up there with the Dawn of the Dead remake. So we watched that and then did some shooting of our own on the PS2.

Sunday after church we went back to the PS2 and shot some "rebel scum." Then off to see the matinee of Doom. I'll be honest, I was really looking forward to going and watching this movie. My expectations: fun and shoot more than they talk. I was not disappointed. I really enjoyed this movie. Now, if you want quality acting and a superb plot, I would pass. If you want some good action, a little suspense, and a fun flick, then sign up. The movie was similar to Aliens, but without the crappy Sigourney Weaver going Rambo at the end to save some little girl. So here's what Doom has to offer: lots of shooting, no romance (but still an attractive actress on screen), some more shooting, some tension, more shooting, and a 5-8 minute "first-person" segment. The FPS view was cool, but I think it would have been neat to spread it out throughout the film, instead of doing it all in one segment at the end. It feels like one of those simulators you get at some amusement parks. An inventive thing and gives the feel of a video game. I liked it, but I'm easy to please.

That was the weekend. Plenty of shooting and gore! Gotta love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home