Down my Alley

Monday, October 17, 2005

Cars, Cars, Cars

Well, I've recently come across some car difficulties. This specific difficulty resolves around my brakes, esp. my right front brake. There is a significant grinding noise when stopping and upon visual and tactile (touch) inspection, there are some impressive grooves on the rotor. I've just received word from Midas and I need new pads across the board, a new rotor on the RF, resurfacing on all four, and an oil change (that was my request). The cost is a bit pricey, but brakes are needed (1 of 3 essentials: Start, stop, and turn). This got me thinking about future automobiles. Granted, I want this current vehicle ('97 Ford Taurus) to last me another 2-3 years (currently at 130k miles, brakes/tires/an electrical issue have been the only fixes thus far), but eventually I will purchase a new vehicle (used, but new to me) and it will be my first self-purchased car. Anyway, here are the 4 vehicles I am currently considering and the factors I deem important. No specific order.

1. Ford Mustang: 18/25 mpg, 38" headroom, 43" leg room, 13 cu.ft trunk, V6 or V8 (GT), 210-300 hp $20-26k new (the coolness factor is huge on this, but very bad in crappy weather...rain/snow...possible to have one that was abused {ran hard} by previous owner)

2. Ford Five Hundred: 20/29 mpg, 39" headroom, 41" leg room, 21 cu.ft trunk, V6, 200 hp, $23k new (the Taurus replacement in the Ford line, a full-size family sedan, a solid good car)

3. Dodge Magnum: 19/27 mpg, 39" headroom, 42" leg room, 27 cu.ft trunk, V6-V8Hemi, 190-350 hp, $23-32k new (non-Hemi version is affordable, love the front end look, so-so about the wagon style back, kinda like a "on-the-ground SUV")

4. Dodge Charger: 19/27 mpg, 39" headroom, 42" legroom, 16 cu.ft. trunk, V6-V8Hemi, 250-350 hp, $27-32k new (pricier, but cool looking, newest of the 4 I'm looking at, thereby more expensive resale)

For a point of comparison, here are the Ford Taurus specs: 20-27 mpg, 40" headroom, 42" legroom, 17 cuft. trunk, V6, 150 hp, $22k new (love this car, perfect size, but they have been d/c by Ford, so in 3 years I won't be finding these as good used cars)

All of these cars are similar in dimensions, so the deciding factor will most likely be what can I afford and what kind of deal will I get and which drives the best. Kinda fun to think about, but nothing's locked in. Who knows what'll happen in the next 3 years...I sure don't. Thoughts/comments/opinions appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home