Down my Alley

Monday, November 14, 2005

Impressions of Retail Pharmacies

So on Friday, Butler had set up "Interview Day". They invited many companies to come in and allow students to sign-up for 30 minute interviews. Based on my current career plans (graduate school), I opted to interview with retail pharmacies. My gameplan is to work full-time from May-August, then move off to school, and work part-time (10-20 hr/wk) during school. The retail world gives me the most flexibility of hours at the highest pay, and the ability to work in IN and another state easily. With that said, I interviewed with 8 companies. Here is my impressions (worst to best) from each of them after my 30 minute interviews. I asked the same questions to each: how do part-timers get hours? state-to-state transfers/work breaks? and why choose you?

8. Target -- The first 20 minutes of the interview consisted of situational questions ("Tell me a time when...How did you handle this.... etc."). After these were done, the next thing out was "What questions do you have for me?" I've never been to a Target pharmacy and don't know anything about their hours/workflow/computer system or anything. All I know is their vials/bottles are really cool. So, in other words, I learned nothing of Target pharmacy. E-mailed open slots in advance notice to get hours.

7. Williams Bros. -- Now this is an independent chain (4 stores) housed in Washington, IN (where my parents live). They had 2 interviewers. The one was very professional, the other was crazy. The guy would ask nutty off-topic questions. It seems like a good pharmacy, but not really what I need since they are only local. The nice thing is I can work during breaks (when I'm home) without having a contract with them.

6. Rite Aid -- Former employer of mine. This one felt most like a sell. They (2 interviewers) were really pushing some far fetching statements ("The only company with this....We are the first..."). No offense, but these just seem like strange statements coming from Rite-Aid. With that said, they did make it sound like Rite Aid was trying to turn things around. They are offerring some neat services. Plus, Rite Aid treated me very well as an Intern while I worked for them. Scheduling through a district scheduler.

5. K-Mart -- This interview got messed up a bit, it was 1 interviewer for 2 interviewees (the other interviewer had an important call to take). Anyway, K-Mart sounded reasonable. Their script count isn't very high (average 120-150 rx/day... note: an adaquately staffed store with 1 RPh should be capable of doing 250 as a steady/busy 12 hour day). Scheduling through a co-ordinator on a monthly basis working 2-4 weeks in advance. Easy transfers and can work breaks.

4. Walgreens -- The first 20 minutes was the company line (ie. Propaganda -- we're the best, we're the coolest, etc. etc.....Walgreens is arrogant!). So, you're asking then why is this one #4. Well, the reason is their set-up for scheduling as a part-time/floater. They put up open shifts on-line 2-4 weeks in advance, and you can sign up from there. This was very nice because there is no in-between, no working with a scheduler, just look and sign-up for what I want. Plus, despite their arrogance, they are fast growing and not going to be sold/closed anytime soon.

3. Osco -- Another with 2 interviewers. Seemed very honest and straightforward. They either don't BS, or cover the smell really well. Scheduling through schedulers and DM, but they also allow for working directly on the store level to set up times. Transfering state-to-state is also simplier. However, there are rumors about the company having financial difficulties and possibly selling (I asked and was told "We are NOT for sell").

2. Kroger -- Now Kroger's are only in the midwest, but the Kroger company owns grocery stores/pharmacies pretty much nationwide. Again, floater schedules are worked out via scheduler 1 month in advance. The different organizations may make working breaks and state-to-state transfers slightly more difficult...or at least have a few more hoops to jump through. This ranks higher because the interviewer was very adaptable to my situation and extremely honest.

1. Wal-Mart -- This was the most impressive interview I had. No situational questions, No BS, mostly a quick rundown of what the company is, then opened up to questions. Most schedules are made on the store level, but this differs by district. A scheduler exists to aid with fill-ins. Stability is huge, this company is NOT going to be bought out. They are everywhere (Sam's Clubs included). Easy transfer state-to-state and working breaks. What put this over the top was a demonstration of their computer system (the only company that did it). A very nice system that seems organized to streamline the process and allow techs to do more, which allows the pharmacist more time to counsel patients.

Note: I work with CVS (and have an offer from them) so I did not interview with them. Generally, CVS is a good company. They have treated me well and I sense a general concern for their pharmacists. Also, as the largest (in store number) retailer, I am not concerned with them being sold. They also use a scheduler. However, they do not have stores in CO which is #1 on my graduate school list.

There you have it. Anyone with deeper insight into these companies, please feel free to elighten me. Until next time....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home