Down my Alley

Friday, November 04, 2005

Best Star Wars Moments

Ok, everyone knows I like Star Wars. With the release of the final installment on DVD this week, I saw a USA today article about the 5 best Moments from the movies. That got me thinking, what are my favorite moments from the greatest film franchise of all time. Well, while in a meeting this morning, in an attempt to stay awake, I jotted down some of my favorite moments. Granted, my original list was pretty decent in length, but I'm going to narrow it down to a Top 10 list. I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with my list, but that's what comments are for. Well without further ado....

Top 10 Star Wars Movie Moments:

10. Pod Race - Episode I: This was about the only epic feeling moment in Episode I. It was unique and pretty exciting/entertaining to watch.

9. Princess Leia in the Metal Bikini - Episode VI: As a guy, this has got to make the list. The last time that Carrie Fisher was actually hot. A true viewing pleasure.

8. Darth Vader destroying the Emperor - Episode VI: A good ending to the Star Wars saga, but what allows this to gain access to the list is the parallel from Episode III. After watching Anakin choose Palpatine and kill Mace Windu in a similar situation, and then to save Luke (and himself) is awesome. A coming full-circle kind of moment.

7. Yoda versus Palpatine - Episode III: Some may think that Yoda's first appearance with a lightsaber should make the list, but I felt that one was too gimicky. However, the fight with Palpatine that takes place in the Senate chambers is really amazing. Also shows the changing of power as the Jedi Master falls to the Sith Lord. Truly Yoda's coolest action moment, despite it ending in defeat.

6. Darth Maul vs. Qui-Gon Jin and Obi-Wan Kenobi - Episode I: The true shining moment of Episode I (and there were very few). Darth Maul was a cool character and the double-sided lightsaber was frickin' sweet. This was also the first multi-person lightsaber fight. Up to this, it was one-on-one battles that mostly looked like fencing, this fight was very acrobatic and simply put, amazing.

5. Space Battle over Coruscant - Episode III: Also known as the opening scene of the movie. The start is pretty good, two fighters flying around a capital ship...then they whip over the top and on the screen unfolds the coolest looking space battle ever put on film. The visual is just unbelievable and the scene really sets the tone for the rest of the movie...hold on to you seats.

4. "No, I am your father!" - Episode V: The only Episode V (Empire Strikes Back) moment on my countdown (a sacrilege to purists, but hey, it's my list). Anyway, with 5 words, the entire Star Wars world gets flipped upside down. Granted, with the prequels, this may lose some of its shock factor. But the first time you see it, you still want to go, "No, it can't be" (but not as whiny as Luke does it).

3. Trench Run - Episode IV: The ending battle of the very first Star Wars movie. It wasn't a huge fight, but something better. A David v. Goliath type of thing. A small ship taking out the huge world killing Death Star. Plus you have Vader trying to take out Luke, teamwork saving the day, and the use of faith to defeat evil. Plus the basis for many video game levels and a great ride at Disney World MGM (Star Tours).

2. Anakin verus Obi-Wan Kenobi - Episode III: The greatest lightsaber fight...ever! You knew this fight was coming, my expectations for it were extremely high, and I was impressed. It blew me out of the water. The use of the set, the emotion both actors convey....just awesome. I could watch this duel over and over and still not be disappointed.

And the number 1....

1. Star Destroyer - Episode IV: The first ever Star Wars scene shown. You just finish reading the setup, the camera pans down, a ship flies over shooting back to you, and then the Star Destroyer slowly flies overhead. Almost gives you chills. From the very beginning, I'm hooked and want to know what's going to happen next. A true masterpiece of cinema.

Honorable mentions: Battle of Hoth (snowspeeders/AT-ATs), Luke vs. Vader in Episode VI, First appearance of Vader (both in Episode III and Episode IV), Jango Fett getting his head chopped off by Mace Windu, and the ground battle (rooting for stormtroopers) at Genosis in Episode II.

Ah, what a trip down memory lane. Let me know if you agree/disagree/what's your top 5/10. Hope you enjoyed.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home