Down my Alley

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I Missed a Birthday (I Feel Old)

So, during a recent period of boredom, I stumbled across these series of articles about the original Nintendo (NES) http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3144947 As it turns out, the NES turned 20 on October 18th. Released in 1985 in the US, Nintendo took the video game world by storm, revolutionized it, and took it mainstream. I've spent innumerable hourse playing our NES. In fact, I still have the NES in original packaging in my closet at home. My sophomore year at college, I had the NES hooked up...and yes I played it, and even had friends come over to play it. Now, I cannot remember the exact year that my parents bought the NES for us (my brother, sister, and myself), but I do know it occured somewhere during our Milan, IN years (4 yrs thru Grade 3). Without a doubt, Nintendo was a huge part of my childhood. I have played every Nintendo console developed and owned/possessed the NES, SNES, and 64. I've sinced crossedover to PS2 (better game library) and most likely will stick with Playstation. To be honest though, the ability to get a Gamecube for around $100 is tempting...especially with a new Zelda on the horizon. But I digress.... Nintendo compromised a great time and will always be a part of my foundation. It set me on the road of great video game enjoyment. I'm predicting that I will continue to buy and play video games until I can no longer pick up a controller. In tradition with recent posts, let me give a list of my fondest NES games (ie, those that I played alot)

5. Duck Hunt -- loved that light gun and I was pretty stinkin' good at the game (less so on the clay shooting game)
4. Double Dragon -- the first beat'em up I remember playing...never made it very far (couple of levels), but loved playing the first couple of levels
3. Super Mario Bros. -- the original game that probably hooked me on video games
2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles -- the side-scrolling version, not the overhead game. This was extremely fun, and opened the door to co-op play. My brother and I played this one alot.
1. Little League World Series -- The best baseball game ever made (until recent ones). This game was fun and was superior to every baseball game clear until Playstation/Nintendo 64 games. It is still a blast to go back and play. Fond memories of this game: Tournaments with friends, playing while in the hospital, playing with family...a great game.

Note: Zelda's are not present because we never owned them and I never really got into those at the time.

Honorable Mention: Tetris -- the best puzzle game ever for a game system...still fun to play.

Ah, video games and a trip down memory lane...foundations for a good post, eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home