Down my Alley

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A difficult decision

Ok, the time is coming for me to plan the next portion of my life. So far, my life has been easily broken into 5-6 year segments. 5 years in Milan, 5 years in Evansville, 4+ years in Ramsey for High School and summers, and 6 years in Indy for Pharmacy school. Now the next phase will be 4-6 years in a PhD program....in Colorado or Alabama. I have a self-imposed deadline of this Friday (officially I have until the 21st for UAB and I don't actually know about Colorado's final date). So, the decision lies in front and input from my reading audience is appreciated.

University of Colorado Health Science Center
Location: Denver, CO
Pros: New facility, interactive environment, state of the art equipment on site, very strong structure and signalling programs, "cool science"
Cons: Cost of living, 2-day drive from family, lack of interaction with pharmaceutical industry, non-encouraging of working as a Pharmacist on the side (still can do it, but have to do it sneaky like)
Overall: Very impressed with the program and the science, will allow me to work in industry as an integral part of the drug design and development teams

University of Alabama-Birmingham
Location: Birmingham, AL (I bet that was tough to figure out)
Pros: Supportive of pharmacist (2 on staff), cheaper cost of living, nice climate, 8+ hour drive from family, industry involvement, access to state of the art equipment, strong clinical pharmacology program
Cons: Older facilities, feeling of a more segmental department, less emphasis on drug design
Overall: Will allow me to work in industry as part of the new drug development teams, but less likely to have role in research and design of new drugs

So here's a bit of my dilemma. I believe UCHSC has the cooler science and may set me up to do that science better, but they are very much non-clinical, non-industry oriented and working part-time may be somewhat more difficult. Also, the higher cost of living and distance from anyone I know is not an easy decision to make. I believe UAB has the department that will allow me to do interesting work and ultimately work in industry, but not as much on the drug discovery side of things. The cheaper cost of living and slightly closer to home is enticing.

There it is, how I currently see things. Feel free to post a comment or give me a call with your thoughts/opinions on things. An open invitation to visit will be extended to all friends wherever I end up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home