Down my Alley

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Post-Election thoughts



Well, this was a very interesting election, and clearly historical. It also marks the first time that the guy I voted for in a Presidential election won the electoral college. Yep, I voted for Obama. Mostly because I think he brings about new ideas, a desire for change, and the ability to inspire. Further, I like his healthcare and energy plans. I believe the choice of Joe Biden as his VP was very good. It balances Obama's apparent short-comings: lack of experience (Biden has 30+ years in the Senate) and lack of foreign experience (former chair of the Senate Foreign Relations committee). Personally, too much is made about race. I understand it, but don't get it (if that makes sense). I like Obama for his ability to inspire and his policies, and personally could care less what race he is (or heritage). Race and religion should play a non-existant role in choosing a President (or employee, or student admission). If they hold the traditional values of a race or religion, then that will be seen in their policies and that is how they should be judged, not because they are (or are not) of a certain race.

As for McCain, in 2000 you might have found me amongst a group of McCain supporters. However, in the past 8 years, especially the previous 2, he has pandered to the base and moved away from being a moderate and shifted to the right. I never bought that he would be more of the same as Bush, at least not exactly the same. It really was his actions over the past years that scared me. Voting against the Bush tax cuts twice, and now claiming to make them permanent for example. Things of that nature bothered me. The final push was the selection of Sarah Palin. My political dislike for Palin is large. In all honesty, she scares the hell out of me as a President. Even less experience than Obama, interviews that made her sound not all that bright, and her theology (as I've been able to research online) is even worse than anything Rev. Jeremiah Wright ever said. I can only hope she quietly goes about her business in Alaska and doesn't make another appearance on the national stage.

How about those speeches on election night? McCain was very gracious and (I believe) sincere. He has served this country very well, and has done what he believes is in the best interest of America. Obama's speech was remarkable. The man can captivate an audience.

As for this junk about appointing judges who "legislate" from the bench that gets spewed, let's think about it. All judges legislate from the bench. By upholding one law, or striking down another, the judge determines the law, or at least the spirit and extent of a law. Saying one side legislates and the other interprets just means that you disagree with the opposition point of view. Personally, the Constitution is far too vague (and intentionally vague) to be used literally for all issues (some sure, but all, not a chance). I foresee Obama appointing up to 3 judges to the Supreme Court, and this is not a bad thing. In fact, this will keep the Court relatively balanced (Conservative v. Liberal...appointed by a Rep. v. a Dem.). A balanced Court ensures that both sides get consideration and argued for. It could make for an interesting dynamic for many years to come.

Anyway, I was glad the election turned out how it did, especially since it wasn't an insanely close election like the past two years. Our nation is still relatively divided in our political ideologies, but it was good to not see a 49-49 election (Gore-Bush) or 51-49 (Bush-Kerry). Obama enters office facing as many issues and challenges as any President, probably since FDR (the Great Depression and war on the horizon). I only hope that Obama assembles a cabinet and advisors of people who are knowledgable and diverse (in ideologies). I think the past 8 years prove that a bunch of "yes" men don't really get it done. Getting away from the good ole boy system should bring about nothing, but improvements to the country.

As for other elections on the ballot, I voted for Mark Udall (D) for US Senate (over Bob Schaffer (R)). This one came down to the 30 minutes of their debate I watched. During a "lightning round" (yes/no questions and responses), Schaffer was unable to answer yes or no. Also, he couldn't hold eye contact with the moderator, Mr. Udall, or the camera. A very poor impression, plus he was a big oil guy, and as a former Congressman voted for/agreed with Bush most of the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home