Down my Alley

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Video Game Wishlist

It's no surprise to any of my loyal readers that I enjoy my video games. I find them to be an excellent way to have fun, get a good laugh, and also wind down after a hard day's work (not that I have many of those). Just recently, the Electronic Entertainment Expo (or something like that), better known as E3, just concluded. This expo is where video game developers and consoles make major announcements about upcoming games. With this knowledge, watching and reading many previews, and having not purchased a new game in quite some time (excluding Rockband a month ago), I've decided to post my video game wishlist. For the most part these will be games that I will certainly pre-order, buy later, or request as a gift. I'm excited about several on this list. By chronological order via release date....

October

Fallout 3 - release date: 10/7; This is a action/RPG video game by the same developers of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Oblivion has been one of the pleasant surprises of my video gaming life. Switching to post-apocalyptic Washington DC and adding guns and mutants promises to be another 100+ hrs of enjoyment.

RockBand 2 - release date: 10/19; 84 more songs to rock out to. In addition to all the previous downloaded songs, and all songs on RockBand 1. All in all, addition of this game allows rocking out to a lot of really good songs. Good times had by all.

Fable 2 - release date: 10/21; Another action RPG game. I never played Fable 1, but what Fable 2 promises is enough to intrigue me. The idea that everything has consequences, and you get to live out a life and not just quests is interesting. Addition of co-op play also seems very interesting. (Fake box-art...not confirmed)

November


Left 4 Dead - release date: 11/4; Zombie shooting game. Enough said. Focus on co-op play and try to get through the various maps, from safe point to safe point. I've been excited about this game for a long time.

Lord of the Rings: Conquest - release date: 11/4; Take the Lord of the Rings world and characters, place them in a capture point style game, and all I can say is heck yeah. Star Wars Battlefront (1 and 2) is one of my all-time favorite games. Using that gameplay and LotR universe, makes me giddy as a schoolboy.

Gears of War 2 - release date: 11/7; I really loved the first game. Single player, co-op, and online play all worked very well together. I suffered some serious burnout though, when it was the only game my buddies were playing online. I'm guessing that happens again, but I should have a few of these other games to distract me.

Call of Duty: World at War - release date: 11/11; I love the CoD franchise. Each game has excellent single player missions, and the promise of getting some help from the CoD4 people, should make this entry into the series another enjoyable time.

Other games releasing this year that I like the idea of, but won't make any promises about purchasing immediately (maybe used down the road): Star Wars: the Force Unleashed (9/16) - single player only, so I don't miss out by waiting; Project Origin (10/1) - sequel to FEAR, and promises a solid single player experience; Dead Space (10/20) - another single player game, this time in the survival horror genre...reviews will be very important to my purchasing.

And finally, a long term projection that is a definite must-buy...

Resident Evil 5 - release date: 3/13/09; RE4 was one the best video game experiences ever. A similar style of game play, and addition of co-op, makes this required purchasing.

Alrighty, I'm sure most of you really didn't care about that, but it's ok, I smiled while writing it up. I'm confident I missed a game, or that one will be announced between now and then that I'll also want. Either way, this coming winter/holiday season is sure to be a good one for video game enthusiasts. Have a great week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home