Down my Alley

Monday, June 16, 2008

I don't even like golf....

but yet I found myself captivated today watching the US Open over the internet (thank you ESPN and USGA for the simulcast). On a normal weekend, I won't give golf a second look. The few exceptions are: 1) Final round of a major, 2) Tiger Woods in contention, and 3) I need a nap. Well, today (and yesterday), 2 out of the 3 were in play. Never before have I witnessed a whole round playoff for a win. There are so many story lines attached to this round of golf that made it so intriguing.

There is the whole awesomeness that is Tiger Woods. His now 14-0 record in majors when leading after 3 rounds. His chase for Jack Nicklaus' record. Playing with a bum knee (seriously, play that well, mere weeks after knee surgery).

Then there is the Rocco Mediate storyline. He seemed like a quality guy. Ranked 158th in the world, and taking Tiger Woods to the wire. Simply amazing.

Then the golf itself. Woods takes a 3 stroke lead. Followed shortly by Rocco getting 3 birdies in a row and taking a one shot lead. Leading by one going to 18 (same as yesterday). And just like yesterday, having Woods sink a putt to force a playoff. 90 holes of golf, and these two guys were dead even. Wow.

As stated, I'm not a huge golf fan. But I think I appreciate the greatness that is Tiger Woods. It's like watching Wayne Gretzky (slightly before my time as a sports fan...and it's hockey), or Michael Jordan, or probably Jack Nicklaus (before Woods made his appearance). Witnessing sports history...that's what makes it worth watching.

Also, I really loved this commercial about Woods. It's his later father explaining why Tiger is so good...mental toughness. Watch and enjoy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home