Down my Alley

Monday, June 09, 2008

Favorite Video Games: Playstation 2

We are coming into much more modern times, as I take a look at my favorite games from the Playstation 2. This was the first system that I purchased with my own money (prior to this, they had been gifts from my parents). Video games became a much larger portion of my free time starting with this system, and the steps games a whole made were very large. Without further boredom, let's take a look at my top 5 PS2 games.

5. Madden Football
I've played Madden ever since my first go round on the SNES. For the most part, each version was getting a little better than the last. 2005 was my final version on the PS2 and I loved the game. The fantasy draft for franchise mode was super fun, and made the game that much more fun.

4. TimeSplitters 3
I had not played the previous two TimeSplitters games, but greatly enjoyed this one. The single player was fun, and really humorous. This game really shines in multi-player though. Many an hour were spent with the brother playing this game against various bots. The characters are outstanding. I'll never forget the Ginger Bread Man: "Bite my crunchy brown @$$."

3. God of War (I and II)
I would easily rate God of War as the best platforming game of recent memory and certainly have it in the conversation for best ever. An absolutely amazing game. Graphics were awesome, story was engaging, level design superb, and the most badass character ever in the history of video games. I kept my PS2 after buying the Xbox 360, exclusively so I could play God of War II. I wasn't disappointed. I might have to get a PS3 once God of War 3 makes it out. These games rocked.

2. Resident Evil 4
This game probably ranks in my top 5 of best games of all time. I never played any of the other Resident Evil games, but was immediately hooked on this one. I just did not want to put the controller down. The combination of suspense and action was excellently balanced. They kept you right on the cusp of low ammo. Enough to keep you worried, but not so often to actually be annoyed by it. The section of game where you lock yourself in the farm house is simply one of the best levels ever.

And the number 1 game on the PS2...


1. Star Wars Battlefront (1 and 2)


It's tough to pick between these two games, so I won't. I'm not sure I could tally how many hours my brother and I played these two games, but it's a frickin' lot. I like first person shooters, I like Star Wars, and capture point battles are also fun. The combination makes for a nearly perfect game. Flying a snowspeeder and taking out AT-ATs is a blast. Holding off the droid army at Bespin platforms is super fun. The battles never played out the same way twice (with the exception of us winning). I'm eagerly anticipating Battlefront 3...and more Star Wars butt-kicking.

Honorable mentions: Grand Theft Auto III, Smuggler's Run (way more fun than it needed to be)

I have very fond memories of the PS2. Up next, my current system and first foray into the Microsoft gaming world, the X-box 360. My series concludes within the week. Stay tuned.

4 Comments:

  • Action games are my all time favorite!! "TimeSplitters" is my favorite one!! Game Stop provides great offer on video games... I love to buy my favorite stuff from here!!

    By Anonymous Jazz, at April 30, 2009 at 7:02:00 AM EDT  

  • A little off topic, Guys... I have a question. Last week I played at this site:
    [url=http://www.rivalspot.com]Rivalspot.com - Play Ps3 tournaments for cash[/url]
    They say you can play online Madden game tournaments on any console for cash... had anyone tried that before? Looks like a cool idea...
    Are there any other sites where you can play sports games for real moneys? I Googled and found only Bringit.com and Worldgaming.com but it looks these guys don't specialize in sport gamez. Any suggestions?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 5, 2009 at 6:47:00 AM EST  

  • that was really great games.. they r great action games which is interesting to play.. that's great.. for more information on used video games, used Nintendo DS systems Playstation 1, used Playstation 1 games, super Nintendo games ,super Nintendo systems u can visit Playstation

    By Blogger petersteel, at February 6, 2010 at 9:33:00 AM EST  

  • In case you wish to play Madden, NCAA Football, FIFA, NHL2K and Fight Night tournaments on your Playstation 3 or Xbox console online for cash - we call for testers now. Join us on Facebook until March 31 and win $2,000 in cash: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=mf&gid=298821430083&_fb_noscript=1

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 25, 2010 at 7:41:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home