Down my Alley

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My Fantasy Football draft

This past Saturday was the draft for my fantasy football league. I might end up in another league or two, but this is the only one I put a few bucks on, and it is with friends (and therefore bragging rights). I was relatively happy with my draft. Looking at my team now, I am admittedly weak in the RB department, but I'm hoping to overcome that with my WRs. I do have some question marks that could really make this a long and disappointing season for me. Oh well, here's my team in the order I drafted. Relatively standard rules apply: RB/WR/TE 15 yds/pt, 6pts/TD, -1 for fumbles, -2 for lost fumbles. QB 25 yds/pt, 6pts/TD, -2 for INT. K points based on FG yards, -1 for missed FG inside of 30 yds. Def/ST score for return TD, INT, sacks, fumbles, and lose points for giving up TDs/FGs (based on how many). Anyway, if you've played fantasy football, you understand how it goes. I had the 8th selection spot in a 12 team league with serpentine drafting (top to bottom, bottom to top, etc. etc.).

So my draft:

Rd. Ovr Pick Player, Pos., Team
1. 8 Peyton Manning, QB, Colts*
2. 17 Braylon Edwards, WR, Browns*
3. 32 Chad Johnson, WR, Bengals*
4. 41 Tory Holt, WR, Rams*
5. 56 Edgerrin James, RB, Cardinals*
6. 65 Selvin Young, RB, Broncos*
7. 80 Jonathon Stewart, RB, Panthers
8. 89 Kevin Curtis, WR, Eagles
9. 104 DJ Hackett, WR, Panthers
10. 113 Ahmad Bradshaw, RB, Giants
11. 128 Jeff Garcia, QB, Buccaneers
12. 137 Ben Utecht, TE, Bengals*
13. 152 Antwaan Randle El, WR, Redskins
14. 161 Leon Washington, RB, Jets
15. 176 Adam Vinatieri, K, Colts*
16. 185 Baltimore Ravens DST*

*-designates starter on my team to begin season

There it is. No free agent slots this year, so if I pick someone else up, I have to drop someone. My RBs are questionable, and I erred by not trying to draft Andre Hall (backup RB in Denver) and Tim Hightower (backup RB in Arizona). Hall was gone before I wanted him, but I could have had Hightower. I do have two solid backups in Bradshaw and Washington if the starters get injured, or potentially trade bait to the teams that drafted Brandon Jacobs (NYG) or Thomas Jones (NYJ). I'm obviously banking on Manning being healthy and ready to go. Same with Chad Johnson.

However, it turns out, it should be fun. I stuck to my draft strategy (mostly) and got some of the guys I targeted. Let the games begin...in 2 weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home