Down my Alley

Monday, September 08, 2008

Entertainment Guide: Summer Reading Reviews

While my intent was not to seem like a copycat (click here to see what I mean), it will come across that way. However, it fits with my recent theme of posts. Over the past year, I have rarely not had a new novel to read. Whenever I finish one I either go and pick one up at Barnes and Noble from their bargain rack, or get one that my dad has recently finished. The gist is that I have really enjoyed reading. This isn't something new, as I have constantly tried to read a chapter or two daily for many years (all through college and even some high school). I can't ever quite seem to want to read a scientific research paper (can't imagine why), but I commonly find time to read fiction novels. Anyway, here's the list including: title, author, and a brief review. Please enjoy.

The Devil You Know by Mike Carey
The story of an exorcist who gets caught up with a mobster during what should be a routine exorcism. An odd start, but the main character grew quickly on me to make for a good read. If you have difficulty buying into (or at least suspending belief on) ghosts and ghouls, then this isn't really the novel for you. A second novel with the main character has just been released.

Imperium by Robert Harris
A fictionalized account of the rise of Marcus Cicero as told by his aide, personal secretary, and slave Tiro. A very interesting tale about the politics of ancient Rome. There are certainly some parallels to modern politics which begs the question, how accurate a vision is this novel. Good for any historical fiction fans.

Crusade by Robyn Young
The second novel in a trilogy (first, Brethern and recently released Requiem). Note, you must read Brethren first, or you will be completely lost. An excellent period novel continuing the story of Will Campbell, a Templar Knight. No Da Vinci Code claims to get all upset over (not that I ever did), but solid characters and good development of the situations. Really looking forward to how the story ends in the final novel.

Stonehenge by Bernard Cornwell
Very similar to the other Bernard Cornwell novels that I've read (the Saxon series). An interesting take on the society that built Stonehenge. Nothing groundbreaking, but a fun read nonetheless.

The Zero Game by Brad Meltzer
Best to describe this novel as a thriller. The death of a close friend sends our protagonist and a unwilling senate page on a life and death adventure. An easy read, but entertaining and a bit of a page turner.

Creepers by David Morrell
The author of Rambo brings us an adventure story about urban explorers. A group that takes a yearly trip to break into abandoned buildings enters the Paragon hotel, and it doesn't go as planned. I was expecting more supernatural type of book, but got a straightforward adventure novel. Not bad, but a very quick read.

The Curse of Cain by J. Mark Powell and L.D. Meagher
A historical fiction account of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. I really like the concept, but the execution left a little to be desired. The characters were relatively bland, and there weren't any real twists to the plot. If you like historical fiction, it is an ok read, but there are better novels out there.

Blasphemy by Douglas Preston
A solid book by one of my favorite authors. Blends science, philosophy, and religious fanaticism into a gripping novel. This novel can leave you thinking a little bit about what life, science, and religion should really be about. Also portrays the stupidity that apocalyptic Christianity can lead to.

The Black Sun by James Twining
A world-hopping, follow the clues type of adventure novel that predominates my reading. Good characters that set out to stop a re-imagined Nazi party. A good page-turner that tries to stay one step ahead of the reader.

The Treasure of Khan by Clive (and Dirk) Cussler
I'm cheating just a little bit. I'm only about 2/3 of the way through this novel at the time of this post. However, since I've read almost all of the Dirk Pitt novels I'm pretty sure I know how it's going to end. Thus far, it has been a by the numbers Dirk Pitt adventure, which means an enjoyable ride. The interplay between Pitt and Al Giordino really makes me wish they would make more Dirk Pitt movies (remember Sahara with Matthew McConaughey).

There you have it. The novels I've read since May. I'm still looking to pick up Sword Song (the next Saxon novel) by Bernard Cornwell and The Wheel of Darkness by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (their latest Pendergast novel). I would imagine they are going to make a bargain bin appearance soon.

Until next time...keep reading

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home