Down my Alley

Friday, December 03, 2004

I need your opinion

First, let me get the recent events out of the way. My car decided to act crazy, so I took it in to the Ford dealership. Turns out some kind of sensor shorted out and that was making the craziness occur. A day and half later, $234 poorer, and I have my car back in good working order. Also, the crack on my windshield is now HUGE. After a frost, and running the heater, the thing just ballooned. Finally, my pharmacy class got pounded on in the COPHS basketball challenge.

Alright, now, here is what I need your opinion on. I have the offer for free housing from my uncle. He is offering me 2 rooms (bedroom and study/living area) and a bathroom at my cousin's house. I would also have use of the kitchen and the washer/dryer. All at NO charge...aka FREE. The other option is to continue living in Speedway with friends, but pay rent for the house. So, here's the pros and cons as I see them. Distance from school is similar, and I'm sure that I will have a job either place, I know of good churches in both areas, so those are none factors.

Free housing: pro--> it's free and I'd save a lot of money (nearly $1600) if I live here next semester, closer to bowling; con--> living by myself, no friends to hangout with on a daily basis, the hassle of switching CVS stores

Speedway: pro --> hanging out with friends, companionship, some accountability (keeping things clean and whatnot); con--> cost

As you can see, it basically comes down to cost. The biggest advantage to saving that money, is that I will have to pay summer tuition this year while on rotations. That just means more money to school, with less time to work and make it back. So, please comment with what you think is the best course of action (in your opinion). Thanks in advance...and I will post what my final decision is.

2 Comments:

  • I think it really comes down to how good of friends are you with the people you are living with. If they are your main source of friendship right now, then I personally do not think that giving that up to save money is worth it.

    However, if your main source of good friends comes from study group, campus group, bowling team, etc. and moving will not effect how much time you get to spend with your friends then I would buy a game system (PS2 all the way!) for those boring nights at home alone and make the switch.

    I guess it comes down not to cost, but to friends because I think that is more important.

    By Blogger SeanXor, at December 3, 2004 at 6:39:00 PM EST  

  • If it's your cousin's house then will you really be living by yourself? I mean, is your cousin still going to live there?

    And as for my opinion, not that it matters. If your friends aren't going to be your friends if you move out then they aren't your friends. BUT...assuming that they will still be your friends if you move out then why can't you just visit them when you are bored AND save on the rent. I don't think they will banish you from the house simply because you move out--you just won't have a room there anymore.
    However...if you are like me, once you get out of school you're going to be paying soooo much money back in loans that $1600 is not going to make a difference in your loan payments AND you will be making plenty of money to cover it regardless.
    So...what do you want to do?

    By Blogger Malissa, at December 3, 2004 at 11:14:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home