Down my Alley

Monday, March 16, 2009

March Madness Predictions...

First, let me gripe again about the Butler seeding. I understand that they lost their conference championship game, but not by much against a pretty decent Cleveland State team. And I grant that would hurt the seeding a bit, but to get a 9 seed and to play LSU is really rough. Further, if they win, they get North Carolina in North Carolina...that sucks. I figured a 7 was likely and a 6 was hopeful, but a 9 seed is really an injustice. Oh well, it's a young team that should consider this a learning experience.

Here are my predictions:

1) All 4 number ones won't make the final four. It's never happened...except for the fluke that was last year. I really don't anticipate it happening again, especially since Memphis deserved the spot over UConn.

2) First rd upsets: 11 Dayton over 6 West Virginia, 10 Maryland over 7 California, 11 VCU over 6 UCLA, 10 Michigan over 7 Clemson [8-9 matchups don't count as upsets]

3) 12 over 5 upset special (it seems to happen every year), Arizona over Utah. I'm of the opinion that Arizona didn't deserve the spot, but since they are in, I'm guessing they take all the hoopla about not deserving the spot and turn it into a motivation to win the game. (WKU over Illinois is also probable)

4) The Big East is overrated and crazily got 3 number 1 seeds in the dance. However, the Big East is good and I anticipate only 2 representatives in the Elite 8 and 1 in the final 4.

5) Surprise Sweet 16 appearances: 6 Arizona St., 11 VCU

6) Surprise Elite 8 appearances: 4 Wake Forest, 5 Purdue

7) My Final Four: 2 Michigan St, 2 Memphis, 1 Pittsburgh, 1 UNC (NOTE: I never, ever, get the final four right)

8) National Championship: Memphis defeats Pittsburgh

9) First number 1 to lose: UConn and Lousiville in the Sweet 16. (However, if Ty Lawson is injured/can't play, then UNC may not see the Sweet 16.)

10) I'm guessing that 80% of these predictions are wrong (including this one).

There you go. My NCAA predictions. Tournament tips Thursday at noon with the most anticipated matchup of the first round...Butler v. LSU...go BU!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home